SAINT PETER'S CHURCH. On the site of the current church stood one of the oldest sacred buildings in Vienna, founded in 792 by Charlemagne of which nothing remains today. In 1701 the construction of the new Peterskirche began, the current one, first designed by Gabriele Montani, which was replaced two years later by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt who was responsible for the concave facade and the dome. The architect Francesco Martinelli directed the works. Between 1998 and 2004, a complete restoration gave shine to the artistic riches of the Viennese church.