The need to set up in Florence a space dedicated to theatrical activity independent of the grand-ducal court was endorsed by the Compagnia dei Concordi, the first drama academy founded in 1644 by a group of nobles protected by Prince Don Lorenzo de 'Medici, son of Grand Duke Ferdinando I. In 1648 the company became the Accademia degli Immobili and in 1650 it received some rooms in the Ughi palace, in Via del Cocomero, now Via Ricasoli. In 1651 the academicians split into two sections: one moves to via della Pergola where the theater is built that still bears that name, while the other group, which remains in via del Cocomero, constitutes a new academy called the Infuocati, which has as its emblem a lit bomb and the motto "A tempo infuocati": their theater, called "del Cocomero" in reference to the street, inaugurated in 1658 with the Podestà of Colognole, the melodrama of Andrea Moniglia. In the eighteenth century improvements were made to the structure, with the creation of a royal box (1711), and a third (1752) and a fourth (1754) order of boxes. With the project of the architect Mannaioni, in 1764 the stalls assumed the horseshoe type, in the authentic tradition of Italian theater. The theater, or rather the Academy, developed extending to the premises of the "bottegone" in Piazza Duomo, as evidenced by many invitations to representations with entrance from the square. The complex was therefore much larger and included several areas for refreshment, recreation and other destinations: smoking room, dance hall and reduced, as well as warehouses, kitchens, tailoring and various workshops. In 1860, the theater was dedicated to the Livorno-born playwright Giovanni Battista Niccolini, of which several plays are represented. In 1888 it was the first theater in Tuscany electrically lit, in 1914 the new entrance on Via Ricasoli, a new foyer, the gallery, the skylight to illuminate the audience in the intervals. The Accademia degli Infuocati remains the owner of the building until 1934, when the theater was sold to the Ghezzi family.