SAN LIO CHURCH
The original 9th Century church was built by the Badoer family and dedicated to St Catherine. Rebuilt in 1054 and rededicated to the canonised Pope Leo X, a supporter of the independence of Venice's churches. Early in the 16th Century the church was rebuilt by Pietro Lombardo and his son. Reconsecrated in 1619, with the campanile demolished mid-century. Restored in 1783, with a plain façade retaining the Doric doorway (see right) from the early-16th Century church.