Because of its small dimensions this Church is called St. Giacometto, a diminutive form of St Giacomo. It stands in the Rialto market with its sundial clock face on the main facade, the bell tower in a flaring sail shape and the only remaining Gothic portico in the city, supported by beautiful columns. The church dates from the 11th century and is traditionally believed to be one of the oldest in the city left untouched by the re-modelling of the 16th and 17th centuries. Its establishment is probably linked with the growth of the Rialto market in 1097. An inscription on an exterior apse wall recommends that merchants be honest and fair in their business dealings. The interior is rectangular and in the form of a cross with a central dome which became a model for architecture in the 1400s and 1500s.