The Basilica of Santa Maria del Pino (in Catalan, Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi) is a Catholic place of worship in the city of Barcelona . The name " pine " comes from the fact that , in the square outside the church , there is a specimen of this plant . Since 1925 is a minor basilica . According to a tradition not documented , however, it recognized by some historians , since 413 there was a small early Christian church in the place where today stands the church . First documentary information of a church dedicated to Our Lady of Pi has in 987 : in fact there is certainty that existed outside the walls , to the west of Barcelona a small Romanesque church with that name. The current building was by building between 1319-20 and 1391 , with a pure Gothic style , with a single nave , and completely devoid of decorations . Following a fire, it was adapted to the new architectural taste , thus becoming a church facade with Gothic and neo-Gothic interior.